- Pub date: April 2014
- ISBN-13: 9781781450512
- Author: David Taylor
- Price: £14.99
- Binding: PB with flaps
- No. of pages: 192
- Photos: Includes photographs
- Dimensions: 178 x 145mm
- Color : Full colour throughout
- The Expanded Guide >Techniques - Digital Black & White Photography
- The Expanded Guide >Techniques - Night & Low Light Photography
- The Expanded Guide >Techniques - Photographic Lighting
- The Expanded Guide >Techniques - Understanding Composition
- The Expanded Guide >Techniques - Understanding Exposure
- The Expanded Guide >Techniques - Understanding RAW Photography
Professional photographer David Taylor's concise, jargon-free text guides the reader through the basics of composition, why it matters, and how to attune the mind to the art of looking. Beginning with a guide to choosing a camera – and how different types help you think about composition differently – he explains aspect ratios, the focal length of lenses, and the effect of perspective. The main composition concepts – from the Rule of Thirds, the Golden Section, the Rule of Odds, visual weight and contrast, to actual and implied lines in an image, symmetry, viewpoint and abstraction – are each analysed and demonstrated with the aid of the author's own beautiful images.
The techniques of exposure, depth of field, shutter speed and white balance are explained, with practical hints and tips. Finally, post-production techniques such as cropping, selective blurring, panoramic stitching and use of filters complete this in-depth guide to a fascinating area of photograph.
David Taylor is an award-winning landscape and travel photographer from Hexham in Northumberland. His work has taken him all over the world, from the sun-kissed beaches and azure seas of Zanzibar to the icy wastes of the Arctic Circle, but his first love remains the wild countryside and rugged coastline of his home county, which he has photographed extensively.